Monday, June 20, 2011

Big brothers, ya got to love them :)

So i only get to talk to my brother once a week because he's on his mission. On monday's he gets to email all his family, usually i get his emails early in the morning. So i was telling him how freaken nervous i was for xc and i just wanted everything to be perfect. This was his reply. Isn't he the sweetest? ha

Here is your big brother advice, hopefully it motivates you. I thought about writing in all caps so it was like I was yelling, but that would just be annoying. I will start with a poem I wrote...(its actually by walter d wingle if you want to look it up)
If you think you are beaten you are;
if you think you dare not, you don't;
if you like to win, but think you can't,
its almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost.
For out in the world we find,
Success begins with the fellow's will,
It's all in the sate of mind.
If you think you are outclassed you are;
you've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before,
You can ever win the prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins,
is the man who thinks he can!
So think HIGH!!! Find that inner will, the drive that you have always had. It doesn't matter where you start, it matters where you finish. So start where you are and work towards your goal. You are a state champion, you just haven't figured it out yet. Make the choice to be a State Champion now, and then force the circumstances to yield to your will. Time for another poem
When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
when the road you're trudging seems all uphill.
When the funds are low and the debts are high
when you want to smile but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing, you're down a bit,
rest if you must, but don't you quit!
Life is queer, with its twists and turns,
as every one of us sometimes learns,
and many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he not struck out!
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.
Success is failure turned inside out
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
And you never can tell how close you are
IT may be near when it seems afar
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit
It's when things seem worst that you musn't quit!
So just keep doing you best! Its the accumulation of training, of trying harder every day, that makes someone successful. Not one day. So don't worry if you have a bad day.
The average runner sprints
until the breath in him is gone
but the champion has the iron will
that makes him carry on
For rest the average runner begs,
when limp his muscles grow
but the champion runs on leaden legs
His spirit makes him go
The average man's complacent
when he does his best to score;
but the champion does his best
and then he does a little more!
Now with all that said, I am going to quote the prophet Lehi when he told Laman and Lemuel "Oh be wise! what can I say more?" Don't be stupid. Success takes true commitment. Its the commitment in all things, little and big, that make someone successful. You have already shown commitment to the big things, so now just do the little things. Eat right, stretch, ice, wear good shoes, build your miles properly. You have to have enough confidence in yourself and in your training program that you can overcome the little bumps in the road. I remember indoor track my senior year, I had trained too hard that winter, and by indoor state championships I couldn't even run a warm up without tons of Bio freeze and iboprofen. But then I remembered that my goal was to win outdoor state, not any other meets, not win in practice, win STATE. And so I did what I had to do. I would run as much as I could without hurting my self, and then I would go to the rec center and do water work outs. Jody didn't like it, the other guys didn't always like it, but I did what I knew I needed to do. So that is my advice to you. You know your body better than Jody, Steve, mom or dad. If your body says don't run, then don't run. But find something you can do to truly push yourself so that your championship will stays strong.
Anyways I hope that something in there helped you, remember that I love you, and that I already know that you are a State Champion, even if you don't know it yet. And most importantly, remember that you have a father in Heaven who loves you and knows what is best for you. And if you go to Him he will consecrate all things for your gain. You can find the most comfort, trust, love, support and motivation in the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Even for running. He suffered everything. He knows what it is like to be injured, to have it hurt to run. He knows what it's like to taste disappointment. He knows what it's like to give your best and still come up short. He knows it all. He suffered through every single thing you have suffered, and HE, much more than me, can give you the big brother advice you need. He is cheering for you, and He wants you to do your best! Remember I love you, and remember to have fun!
If you aren't having fun you are doing something wrong!
Liebe
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment